Winners For The 24th Trillium Book Award Announced
Four Ontario Authors Receive Province’s Top Literary Award
TORONTO – Winners of Ontario’s foremost prize for literary excellence, the Trillium Book Award, were announced today by the Hon. Michael Chan, Ontario Minister of Tourism and Culture, and Karen Thorne-Stone, President and CEO of the Ontario Media Development Corporation at a luncheon held at the Bram and Bluma Appel Salon.
“Ontario is home to rich creative communities and an incredible wealth of literary excellence that is critically acclaimed both at home and abroad. The McGuinty Government is proud to celebrate the many accomplishments of Ontario’s talented authors and the achievements of our publishing industry that bring their great work to the world. I am pleased to offer my congratulations to this year’s Trillium Book Award Winners!”
— Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism and Culture
“The winners of the 24th Trillium Book Award reflect the tremendous depth of literary talent and diversity in our province. Congratulations to all the authors -- and to their publishers for nurturing such extraordinary talent. Together, they continue to enrich the lives of readers at home and around the world.”
— Kevin Shea, Chair, Ontario Media Development Corporation
- Celebrating its 24th Anniversary this year, the Trillium Book Award is among the most highly regarded national and international literary prizes. Previous winners have included world-renowned authors such as Margaret Atwood, Wayson Choy, Alice Munro, Michael Ondaatje, Maurice Henri and Michèle Matteau.
- Trillium Book Award English-language and French-language winners receive $20,000. Publishers of the winning books each receive $2,500 towards their promotional costs. The respective winners of the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in English-language and Trillium Book Award for Children’s Literature in French- language each receive $10,000 and their publishers receive $2,000. All finalists receive a $500 honorarium.
- The Trillium Book Award for Children’s Literature in French-language is awarded in alternating years with the Trillium Book Award for Poetry in French-language. The Trillium Book Award for Poetry recognizes literary achievement for a first, second or third published work of poetry.
The Ontario government established the Trillium Book Award in 1987 to recognize excellence, support marketing and foster increased public awareness of the quality and diversity of Ontario writers and writing.
Ontario Media Development Corporation administers the (Trillium Book Awards Backgrounder available) on behalf of the Ministry of Tourism and Culture.
- 30 –
Contact Trillium Book Award Winners:
Sarbjit Kaur, Trillium Publicist
Argyle Communications, (416) 968-7311, Ext. 226
For French Media Relations:
Leily Shafaee, Trillium Publicist
Argyle Communications, (416)968-7311, Ext. 236
Contact for OMDC:
Sharon Wilson, OMDC Communications
(416) 642-6616 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact for Minister Chan:
Mukunthan Paramalingham, Minister’s Office
E-Mail : Mukunthan.email@example.com
Denelle Balfour, Communications Branch
(416) 212-3928 E-mail : Denelle.Balfour@ontario.ca
Disponible en français