Ontario A Leader in Live Music
McGuinty Government Developing Live Music Strategy to Showcase Industry Globally
Ontario is developing a live music strategy that will strengthen the province's position as a global leader for live music.
Working together with music industry partners and the Ontario Media Development Corporation, the Ontario Arts Council and the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership, the government's live music strategy will:
- Promote Ontario's live music sector to boost concert attendance, visitor spending and economic impact
- Develop a co-ordinated live music marketing and promotions plan
- Leverage existing resources
- Create opportunities to promote music through measures such as new online resources
- Position Ontario as a premier global destination for live music and music tourism through the province's international marketing initiatives.
Strengthening Ontario's live music scene is part of the McGuinty government's plan to boost the economy and create jobs.
"We are proud to showcase Ontario on the world stage for live music. Home to globally diverse music, a variety of venues, a thriving festival scene and our internationally celebrated talent — our artists and our industry — Ontario has what it takes to compete as one of the world’s top live music destinations. Already a leader in Canada and a leader in North America, together with our industry partners we will ensure Ontario shines in the international spotlight as a true innovator in live music."
- Michael Chan
Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport
"Music is one of Ontario’s richest assets; the size, diversity and vibrancy of the cluster sets us apart from just about any other jurisdiction in North America. Those of us who work in music are encouraged by the leadership taken by Minister Chan in identifying opportunities for provincial support and coordination. Together we will harness the power of music."
- Graham Henderson
President, Music Canada
"Minister Chan must be commended for this important and exciting initiative to put a strong focus on the great talent and vibrancy of Ontario’s music sector. Our music, and in particular, the live music scenes in communities across the province not only provide great entertainment to a legion of fans, but are an important driver of tourism and economic development in Ontario as well."
- Stuart Johnston
President, Canadian Independent Music Association and MusicOntario
- The live music sector generates an estimated $455 million in revenues and contributes $252 million to the Canadian economy.
- According to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers, the Canadian live music market has grown at an annual average rate of 6.4 per cent since 2010.
- Spending in Ontario by arts and culture tourists totalled $4.1 billion in 2010 — representing 36 per cent of spending by all overnight tourists in the province that year.