Encouraging Growth For Ontario’s Interactive Digital Media Industry
OMDC’s IDM Fund Supports Innovative Economy
TORONTO – The Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) has invested $2.0 million to support 19 interactive projects. (click here). The OMDC IDM Fund supports the creation of original, proprietary content created by Ontario companies. Ontario’s interactive digital media industry is part of Ontario’s fast growing innovative economy.
The OMDC IDM Fund commenced in 2005 and was renewed in 2008 by the Provincial government to encourage growth in Ontario’s innovative economy. To date the OMDC IDM Fund has contributed $7.7 million to support 76 projects with budgets totalling $32.7 million.
OMDC will be honouring the current round of recipients at an IDM Showcase tonight that will also feature demonstrations of 10 past recipients’ exciting products developed over the past five cycles of the IDM Fund.
“The Interactive Digital Media industry in Ontario is a driving force in today’s creative economy. This sector influences the way we live, learn, educate and entertain while creating valuable jobs and investments in Ontario. The McGuinty Government is a proud partner in support of this innovative industry through the OMDC IDM Fund.”
- Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism and Culture
“Today’s creative industries are big business, contributing $12.2 billion to our provincial GDP annually and employing nearly 300,000 people. The interactive industry alone represents $1 billion dollars and over 1,000 companies in Ontario – and those numbers are growing rapidly. As our industry grows in international strength and recognition and expands into new platforms and markets, support for interactive digital media companies in Ontario helps to ensure that they remain competitive on the global stage.”
- Karen Thorne-Stone, President & Chief Executive Officer, Ontario Media Development Corporation.
"The OMDC's IDM Fund was extremely helpful in assisting DrinkBox Studios in completing our first original game title: Tales from Space: About a Blob. The fund gave us a real competitive advantage, and allowed us to employ the people needed to bring our concept all the way to market."
- Ryan Maclean, CEO of DrinkBox Studios Inc.
“The OMDC IDM Fund has helped us to bring successful products to market as well as develop exciting new ones, including Garage Inc., an innovative iPhone and iPad game and Crash Canyon Adventure, an online game that ties into one of our television programs.”
- Dorothy Vreeker, Director, Digital Media, Breakthrough Entertainment
- The OMDC IDM Fund supports Ontario companies creating original, proprietary interactive digital media content and provides up to $150,000 per project to a maximum of 50% of project budget costs
- OMDC’s IDM Fund recipients have been recognized for their creativity and innovation in a variety of platforms.
All of these projects received support through the OMDC IDM Fund.
- zinc Roe won a World Mobile Summit Award in 2010 for its series of mobile applications, Tickle Tap Apps
- marblemedia’s Taste Buds won a 2010 Gemini Award for Best Cross-Platform Project
- Xenophile Media’s Love Letters to the Future won a 2010 Gemini Award Best Original Program or Series.
- As of 2008 (the latest year for which figures are available), there were approximately 1,000 interactive digital media companies in Ontario, employing 16,000 people and generating almost $1.2 billion in interactive digital media revenue.
The deadline for the OMDC IDM Fund is slated for late summer/early fall 2011 and will be posted on OMDC’s website as soon as it is announced.
Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC) is an agency of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism and Culture that facilitates economic development opportunities for Ontario’s cultural media industries including book and magazine publishing, film and television, music and interactive digital media industries.
- 30 -
Contact for OMDC:
George McNeillie, OMDC Manager, Communications
(416) 642-6619 E-mail: email@example.com
Cell : 647-286-3979
Contact for Minister Chan:
Mukunthan Paramalingham, Minister’s Office
E-Mail : Mukunthan.firstname.lastname@example.org
Denelle Balfour, Communications Branch
(416) 212-3928 E-mail : Denelle.Balfour@ontario.ca
Disponible en français